Thursday, July 8, 2010

Professionalism

On Saturday, I will be playing trumpet for my cousin's wedding. I am very much looking forward to being a part of this joyous occasion. Now, ideally I would be able to show up and perform and make great music. However, in my life, there is always a catch. My cousin and I were told that this organist could play almost anything. So, we were very shocked when the organist said she couldn't play the music that I sent her. The music is standard wedding literature. I even showed to a friend that played piano and she was shocked that this so called "professional" could not play this. This goes to the title of this post.....Professionalism. Do not market yourself as a musician that can play anything when in reality you can barely play common hymns. When you do that, you run the risk of ruining an event. It may just be a gig for you, but it is a day that someone will remember for the rest of their lives. Be courteous and market your abilities for what they are. Because of this, I spent the last two days calling organist after organist (something that I was glad to do for Deanna). It seemed that everybody that I called was on vacation. Fortunately, I found a great organist that will have no problems with the music. Now I feel confident that Saturday will be a wonderful event, well It was going to be wonderful anyway, but we will have some great music.

until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment