Monday, July 12, 2010

just one day at at time....

So, I have been on this journey called getting my fat-ass in shape. It has been a tough one to start. Today was the worst day. I decided that I would begin running on a daily basis and today was day 1. I thought that I could get out there and get it done and walk away motivated. However, that did not happen. I figured out real quick that running will tell you just how out of shape you really are. It was tough. I could run for about 30-40 yards and then I would have to stop and walk. I thought I was dying at some point. Every step of the way I would ask myself "Jon, what the hell are you doing?" It was the most discouraging and demotivating moment yet. Before today, I was ready to go and register for the MS-150 and I was ready to go, but when I stopped today, I was ready to throw it all away. However, My wife and my dad were there to get me motivated again. I now understand that this was just part of the process. I have to take this one day at a time, and try to do a little more everyday. I'm not going to run a marathon this year, or next year, but maybe....just maybe I will be there someday. Sure today was painful and humiliating, but I like that. I think I want to remember this day as proof why I don't ever want to get like this again. I think part of the problem is the fact that I have never really been an athlete. I always just did enough exercise, and never really knew how to push myself past a certain point. I get all sorts of advice from people that have always been athletes and are in great shape. I am grateful for every bit of advice, but I don't think these folks have a clue what it is like to go from being a fatty to being an athlete. I need someone who has been in my shoes. I need someone that understands what I am going through. I just have to make small goals and build from there. So, here are my goals.......

Running:
I want to be able to run a 5k by the end of the Fall. After that, I'll work towards a 10k, then a half-marathon....etc.

Cycling:
I plan on riding the MS-150 in October. My goal is to ride at least 30-40 miles per day of that ride. If I can do more.....GREAT!!

Eventually, I want to complete a triathlon, but I have to become a better swimmer.


I know I can do this, it is just going to take some dedication and determination. I cannot quit. Sure, I will have days that I don't want to do it anymore. I just have to push past those days and look forward to the end result. I can do this because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me......Sorry for the SNL line, I am goofy like that.


till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment